Photo Courtesy of Jason Hollinger
BUSINESS INFORMATION AND OPENING HOURS:
Monday Through Friday 8 - Noon 1 - 4 pm
Business Phone: 707-986-7447
After Hours Emergency Utility On-call Phone: 707-223-1225
Operations and Emergency Response Update - Resort Improvement District & Shelter Cove Fire – Tuesday March 31, 2020
Dear Residents of Shelter Cove and Customers of the Resort Improvement District (RID):
Thank you for your patience and personal commitment to Sheltering-In-Place. RID and Shelter Cove Fire are continually monitoring this complex and dynamic situation and are focused on the health and well-being of our community. Updates to his report/news release are in red.
RID/Shelter Cove Fire has declared a local emergency and has implemented its Emergency Operations Center (EOC) currently located at the Fire Station/Main RID office at 9126 Shelter Cove Road in response to the coronavirus pandemic and Humboldt County’s Department of Health’s Shelter-In-Place Order. Effective tonight a midnight Humboldt County’s latest Shelter-In-Place Order goes into effect. A link to the new order is here: https://humboldtgov.org/DocumentCenter/View/84939/Shelter-in-Place-Order-signed-033020 This Order is in effect until rescinded by Humboldt County.
RID wants to share the latest developments:
1. To comply with the latest Shelter-In-Place Order, RID will be closing the Shelter Cove Links Golf Course effective immediately. The Shelter Cove Golf Links course can still be accessed by individuals who are walking provided they follow social distancing practices.
2. As per notice received by RID: Starting April 1st the Shelter Cove General Store will only be accepting phone and email orders. Please call 707-986-7733 or email email@example.com to place your order. Shelter Cove General Store thanks everyone for their patience and support.
3. The Shelter Cove Airport is open for essential and emergency use only at this time.
4. Shelter Cove Fishing Preservation Inc. (SCFPI) announced that daily launch operations at Shelter Cove Marina for the general public have been closed effective immediately.
5. The Eel River Disposal garbage transfer station (located on Telegraph Creek Road) is closed to all use and will remain closed until further notice.
6. Humboldt County has set up a COVID-19 (coronavirus) compliance tip-line for residents concerned about certain business operations or gatherings (congregation) in the community. The compliance tip line number is 707-441-3022. For general coronavirus information call 707-441-5000. The business support information line is 707-268-2527.
7. Effective Immediately: The BLM (Bureau of Land Management) has closed all developed campgrounds, recreation sites and vault toilets throughout California, including locally here in the King Range National Conservation Area. Wilderness Permits for overnight use of the King Range and Lost Coast Trail are suspended and will not be issued at this time. Trails remain open to day-use.
So that RID/Shelter Cove Fire can continue to provide the best possible service during this time, RID/Shelter Cove Fire requests that you:
1. First and foremost, protect yourself and your family by following the Shelter-In-Place Order. The voiced frustrations of community members about how people are not following the Shelter-In-Place Order is understandable and is certainly frustrating. Protect yourself and your family by following the Shelter-In-Place Order.
2. Dial 911 for any and all medical/fire/ocean emergencies. Please do not hesitate to call 911 for non-coronavirus medical/fire/ocean emergencies.
3. Know that your Shelter Cove Fire department is available and prepared to meet the needs of our community. With the new threat of COVID-19 our firefighters are taking extra precautions on all medical calls, not just COVID-19 emergencies. You might see firefighters responding to calls for service in masks gowns, and goggles. This is part of our new standard operating guidelines and does not mean patients are positive for COID-19. These are only extra precautions to protect our first responders and the patients we treat. With these precautions in place even if firefighters make contact with a COVID-19 patient they can safely dispose of all contaminated gear and be available for the next emergency. We have a plan in place that allows the fire department to remain available if part of the fire department is exposed or becomes ill. Shelter Cove Fire and our Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) are dedicated to keeping this community safe and informed with both the new pandemic and other emergencies that might arise. We currently have 24 CERT members, 8 First Responders, 7 EMTs, 1 Paramedic and a registered nurse available on call to meet an increased demand for service if needed.
4. Request assistance for your non-medical/food/personal needs by contacting Shelter Cove Fire at 707-986-7507 or by contacting CERT on CERT’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Shelter-Cove-Community-Emergency-Response-Team-CERT-289540614978207/?modal=admin_todo_tour
5. Please maintain adequate social distance of six feet on all hiking trails, beaches and greenbelt. The Shelter Cove Community Clubhouse, Library and the Shelter Cove Playground are closed to public use. Your District’s hiking trails, golf course (walking only on golf course – no playing of golf or other organized sports), beaches and greenbelt remain open for your use and enjoyment. The Humboldt County and State of California Order both recognize the importance for people to have access to trails, natural areas and beaches to maintain their health. Proper social distance of 6 feet must be maintained.
6. Please remember that the RID office is closed to all public (person to person) interaction for the length of the Shelter-In-Place Order. The service window is closed. Please make your utility payment by mail or by inserting your payment (check/cash) through the door slot. Envelopes (for payment) are available near the RID office entrance. You may also pay your utility bill over the phone with your debit or credit card. You may make a payment over the phone by calling RID at 707-986-7447 (Monday through Friday, 8AM to 12noon & 1pm to 4PM). For your protection RID staff will not be able to meet and speak with you in person at the office while paying your utility bill or for any other RID businesses. Please call RID at 707-986-7447 to speak with RID staff.
7. RID requests that individuals and businesses who are experiencing a hardship to contact RID to discuss options and to setup a payment plan if needed for your utility bill.
To learn more about coronavirus and what you can do to help prevent and limit its spread please see and reference the following links:
World Health Organization https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
Center for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/
California Public Health Department https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx
California Public Health Department https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/Gathering_Guidance_03.11.20.pdf
Humboldt County Department of health and Human Services https://humboldtgov.org/2018/Humboldt-Health-Alert
Johns Hopkins https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/
Coronavirus Assessment Tool https://www.providence.org/patients-and-visitors/coronavirus-advisory
Justin R Robbins
Resort Improvement District #1
Shelter Cove, CA